Re: Grouting in Eugene

Cells with reinforcing MUST be grouted.

Cells w/o reinf should be grouted based on the judgment of the
engineer of record, not on the preference of contractors.

Per the paper "Practical Detailing of Structural Masonry" by Joe
Uzarski, SOHA - SF written for SEAOC :

"... Partial grouting becomes more economical than solid grouting only
when vertical reinf spacing is 32 inches or greater and/or horizontal
reinf spacing is 48 inches or greater. In Seismic Zones 3 and 4, solid
grouting is the most common type of construction because reinf
spacings are usually less than the limits for economical partial
grouting ..."

jgk

---kolby orcher <korcher(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any recent experience with masonry construction in
> Eugene, Oregon?  We are design a structure there and were wondering if
> the local contractors prefer to grout all their masonry walls solid or
> if the grout only those cells with reinforcing.  Thanks in advance.

==
James Korff, PE, PMP, SEAONC
985 E. Hillsdale Blvd, Suite 128, Foster City, CA 94404
Phone/Fax 650-345-1355
Cellular/Voice Mail/Messages 650-796-8997
Cyber-Mail: jameskorff(--nospam--at)aol.com  jgkorff(--nospam--at)yahoo.com

"May the DISPLACEMENT be With You !!"