seismic building separation

I have a question regarding a waterproof seismic building
separation.  I have two wood framed office buildings with
parapets that are approximately 9 inches apart.  The
buildings have been designed to act independently of each
other.  The contractor wants to roof over the separation to
prevent any water from getting in between the two walls.
The Architect is showing metal flashing.  I suggested using
a flexible waterproof neoprene, and received the standard
"what are you crazy?" response.  How long does neoprene
typically last?    Does anybody have any better suggestions,

or information that might help? (aside from shooting the
contractor...ha ha.)  Thanx.