Re: Grouting in Eugene

When designing masonry in Oregon, or anyplace else, we design for fully
grouted walls only when it is required by the calculations.  However when
reinforcement gets tighter there comes a point where we would specify fully
grouted just a a practical matter.  We don't have a hard and fast rule in
our office but the quote from Joe Usarski seems very reasonable to me.
Although most of Oregon is in seismic Zone 3 most of the masonry walls we
design would qualify for partial grouting even under the 32"/48" guideline

Asking what the local construction practices are is a good question.  And we
have asked the same question of the Contractors we work with.  What we don't
want to see is a situation where the wall is designed as partially grouted
and the Contractor changes to fully grouted, "Because everybody knows it
makes a better wall" without consulting the Engineer.  While the wall is
stronger there may be components of the structure which are not designed for
the extra vertical load and/or seismic load.

Dave Morris S.E.
Endex Engineering
Corvallis, OR