RE: History of Conventional wood framing-update-another reply

I have not been actively involved in the list since the middle of December
because of a heavy work load and some personal problems. As those who are
keeping this thread active might know, I have always taken a stand that our
conventional framing provisions are being abused by those non-professionals
who tend to profit the most.

I am picking up upon the thread somewhere in the middle but like the idea of
educating the public - although this has been a tough call without
appropriate financial and political support from the professional
organizations that we belong.

However, here is a fairly simple idea that only requires some personal time
from those interested in making the public aware of their choices. I believe
that I can negotiate with SEAoSC to provide a web site for this purpose. The
work requires that those of us interested in making this a reality create
the site and post it on the SEAint server.

Creating the site is not difficult, but a dialog between interested parties
should conclude what information is important to post and this should be
based upon supportive fact rather than professional speculation. The site
might contain photo's of various types of damage attributed to less than
engineered solutions.

Potential buyers of new homes should be advised to hire an engineer to
review the design drawings of the home they wish to purchase and to evaluate
the expected performance compared to an engineered solution.

Of course there is much more to consider, but if you are really interested
in making this a reality all it will take is time and effort on your parts.

Let me know and I'll seek the approval of SEAoSC in allocating the space
required (and possibly consider taking a position which would be based upon
their existing performance engineered solutions).

Dennis S. Wish PE

PS: I am going to unsubscribe from this list and resubscribe under a new
email address. Those interested in writing me directly can reach me at
wish92253(--nospam--at)aol.com.