Re: Alias or Not? FAQ

I would like to echo Richard Lewis' post.  The use of aliases should be
discouraged, although not prohibited.  The use of an e-mail address which is
not readily identifiable, e.g., 73527.1356, cannot be avoided and should not
be considered an alias, however, I'm sure that most e-mail programs permit
the user to include his/her personal name along with the e-mail address.

In the same light, I think that the list should also encourage the poster to
include his/her geographic location since this is an international list.
Numerous times responses to a post give toll-free 1-800 numbers to contact
which are not accessible to non-US/Canadian users.  Sometimes the only
indication that the poster is not in the U.S. is in their address and that is
not obvious.  (Poor English is not a characteristic restricted to non-English
speaking countries!)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

. > seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org,Internet writes:
. >
. > Q: Can I use an alias and keep my real identity a secret?
. >
. > A: SEAINT List is an un-moderated list and therefore, requires those who
. > use this list to act in a professional and ethical manner. SEAINT does not
. > review the posts submitted to this list. SEAINT can only respond to those
. > who complain about misuse of these resources. There is very little that we
. > can do other than remove a problem subscriber from the list and try to
. > prevent him or her from returning. There is little we can do to prevent
. > anyone from assuming another alias and returning to this list. In summary,
. > as far as you are not misusing this list server, you can remain anonymous
. > if you like to.
. >
. >
. > I think this statement encourages people to think about it and consider it
. > even if prior to subscribing the idea never crossed their mind.  I would
. > strongly encourage you to make a statement that we do not want aliases and
. > prefer everyone use their own real identity.  Those too timid to place a
. > post with their name on it will probably just not place a post. That's
. > okay.  At least they are trying to keep informed. We shouldn't need to
. > hide or mislead people in order to have the courage to make a statement.
. >
. > Rich Lewis
. >