RE: FRP rebar in concrete design

Maybe not so good for a balcony after all.  The glass fibers have a *much*
lower modulus of elasticity than steel, so you end up having to use more
reinforcing to limit deflections.  I think their effectiveness is limited to
applications 1) where severe chemical corrosion, much more than atmospheric
exposure, is a concern; 2)where an electromagnetically transparent material
is required.  There are several manufacturers; most provide a fiber spirally
wrapped around the outside plus a gritty surface as the means of mechanical
bond.  A salesman from Atlas left me a sample of a 180 degree bend with
deformation ribs similar to steel rebar (which was molded rather than
pultruded).  The material is really still in its infancy.