California Building Code

I've received an announcement from ICBO for the 1998 California Building Code,
based on the 1997 UBC, Title 24.  The announcement includes a statement that
under State law, all buildings constructed after July 1, 1999 must be in
accordance with the new Code requirements.

What should a structural engineer practicing in California know about the
status of Title 24 in relation to the un-amended version of the UBC?

My understanding has been that a local building department enforces the
building code that its city coucil has adopted, and that building code may
currently be a not-very-recent edition of the UBC.  Are we responsible to
comply with Title 24 regardless of what the building department is enforcing?

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer