Re: Should Structural Engineering be Separted from Civil Engineering

I graduated from a school that concentrates on teaching students to be
structural engineers instead of Civil engineers.  The Architectural
Engineering program in Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo is one of the few schools
that focuses on Structural Engineering.  In a 4 year program (Really 5 years)
the students get 3 years of solid Structural Engineering classes and 2 years
of architectural design classes which are focused for structural engineering
students.  This program gets students hands on experience with design from the
very beginning.  When students graduate from the ARCE program they are
familiar with most of the building codes and techniques of design.  This
program is great if you want to become a structural engineer and not a civil
engineer.

I am sure other cal poly grads out there can back me up on this.

Sincerely,
Mr. Marlou B. Rodriguez
Engineer

Robert Englekirk Inc. (REI)