Re: Should Structural Engineering be Separted from Civil Engineering

Jim Kestner wrote:

> I wholeheartly agree with the idea of separating Structural
> Engineering
> from the other Civil fields.  It would allow other course work to be
> substituted for that coursework which may not be useful. Some areas
> that
> newly graduated structural engineers are sadly lacking in include:

I'm not sure more (or more specialized) course work is the answer.

> 1. being able to think in 3 dimensions <snip>    Course work? sounds
> like genetics or legos
> 2. relating the practical to the theoretical           Course work?
> sounds like OJT (experience)
> 3. understanding of basic principals / theories   Course work!
> 4. detailing
> sounds like OJT & experience
> 5. interacting with other disciplines                    sounds like
> general ed & life experience
> 6. history of structural engineering                      watch the
> Discovery Channel
> 7. communication skills (oral and written)          practice,
> practice, experience
> 8. being able to develop alternate solutions        solving lots of
> design problems, experience

The best one can hope is that an engineering school grad can think &
learn.  He (or she) will be molded into a real engineer by applying what
they have learned to the practice of engineering under the direction of
a seasoned professional;  they don't come out of school a finished
product.  Like all of us they're a work in progress.

 Robert Kazanjy, PE  **Disclaimer: I speak for myself not UC-Irvine**
 Senior Development Engineer
 Civil & Environmental Engineering
 UC Irvine
 E4130 EG,  Zot: 2175