Re: Should Structural Engineering be Separted from Civil Engineering

I certainly would be the last to expect everything to be learned in
school. There, however, is a widening gap between academia and the
practical aspects of engineering. We need to close this gap. Many of the
shortcomings that I mentioned  can be addressed in the classroom if we
consider these things important and we are willing to push in that
direction. These are not difficult things to accomplish with some
collabration between academia and practicing engineers. We also need to
look at the other programs that Stan Caldwell mentioned that may be
doing a better job of educating our profession.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.