Re: Should Structural Engineering be Separted from Civil Engineering

Jim K. wrote:

> I certainly would be the last to expect everything to be learned in
> school. There, however, is a widening gap between academia and the
> practical aspects of engineering. We need to close this gap.

Agreed.

> Many of the shortcomings that I mentioned  can be addressed in the
> classroom if we
> consider these things important and we are willing to push in that
> direction.

Not likely, the typical undergrad course of study is very full; a class
added means a class removed or the load increased.  What classes would
you add (remove)?

> These are not difficult things to accomplish with some
> collabration between academia and practicing engineers.

That would be helpful but I think that Ken Tarlow's comments are more on
target.

KenTarlow wrote:
I believe structural engineering is only partially learned in school.
Most of it, the most important part, comes from the older engineer
mentoring the younger one.

I see this lack of mentoring, young engineers going to work on there
own before they are ready, the biggest problem in our profession.

I would hope this discussion would be more centered on the need for
more well designed, and well executed plans within our industry.

Ken Tarlow

regards
 Robert Kazanjy, PE  **Disclaimer: I speak for myself not UC-Irvine**
 Senior Development Engineer
 Civil & Environmental Engineering
 UC Irvine
 E4130 EG,  Zot: 2175