RE: Should Structural Engineering be Separated from Civil Enginee ring

I went through a civil program.  I am glad I did.  It gave me a good breadth
of the entire civil engineering field.  I have since worked under structural
engineers and have gone to numerous seminars and read a great deal.  A civil
engineering program still allows you to specialize in structural.  I have a
greater knowledge about the soils that are supporting my structures and
pressing in on my foundation walls.  And I understand what the other [civil]
engineers are doing and why.  ASCE has been raising the issue of a
professional degree much like that of a doctor or a lawyer.  This might
require you to have a Masters in Structural Engineering.  Following an
acceptable Bachelors degree.  We would greatly limit the number of
structural engineering candidates if they had to decide when they were 17
years old that they will be a structural engineer.  This is something that
is decided later as they learn more about the various disciplines.
Structural engineers command a good deal of respect due to the work we do
the responsibility that we have over that work.  This is more important than
the school and program that we attended.  Never Stop Learning!
Bruce C. Trobridge PE
Assistant Building Structural Engineer
NYS - Office of General Services