Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Should Structural Engineering be Separted from Civil Engineer ing

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
More from a Cal Poly Alumnus........................
This is of course the best school in the country if you are thinking of
getting an education that gives you the best
background to enter the field of Structural engineering (Architectural
Engineering Program).  The B.S. in ARCE gives you a thorough overview of
current design practice and analysis techniques for all building types and
construction.  Emphasis is placed on the practical rather than the
theoretical and excellence in graphic presentations and analysis of complex
structures is the standard.  

Now, for the truth about professional registration in California.........all
applicants for the professional engineer's examination in Civil Engineering
must have 6 years experience (4 school, 2 practice) and can then sit for the
8 hour NCEE (also given in the other 50 states) exam.  In addition to this
exam, the applicant must then pass the special seismic & surveying exams (2
1/2 hours ea), unique to CA.  Upon passing these, you can use the title of
California registered P.E. (civil branch).  This gives you the opportunity
to design any any structure (except schools & hospitals and emergency
essential facilities), assuming you have competence, in the state.  If you
want to further define yourself as being a licensed Structural Engineer
(stamping designs for schools & hospitals), you must first have passed the
exams in civil engineering and then have additional experience working under
a registered structural engineer, and take an additional 16 hour examination
(Western states exam - unique to California).  The 2 part NCEE exam for
structural engineering is not given in CA.

After all these special tests to verify competence and ensure public safety
by practicing engineers, does anyone still opt for further restriction and
specialization in the practice?

Joseph Baltar P.E. 
> -----Original Message-----
> From:	GRileyPE(--nospam--at) [SMTP:GRileyPE(--nospam--at)]
> Sent:	Wednesday, March 03, 1999 06:52
> To:	seaint(--nospam--at)
> Subject:	Re: Should Structural Engineering be Separted from Civil
> Engineering
> As a Cal Poly alum, I'll back you on that one. And by the way, I am trying
> to
> get a license in Illinois and the structural license and the civil license
> are
> separate. The civil license is not related to the structural. If you want
> to
> practice civil engineering, take the civil exam. If you want to practice
> structural engineering, take the structural exam. If you want both, take
> both.
> Are there any "takes" out there on California doing the same thing? (Also,
> most states do not designate discipline licenses, it's just "professional
> engineer" and you practice what you practice)
> Greg Riley PE
> Cal Poly SLO ARCE 1988