Re: Dilbert's Theorem (architects vs. engineers)

Who could resist an open invitation to snipe at a Plan Checker!  Sweet revenge
is at hand!  Well, let's see where should I start....hmm.  So in your opinion
engineering is "dry numbers".  Thats' typical coming from an architect where
creativity abounds and to hell with practicality.  Where form follows
function... NOT!   Oh and I suppose the plan checking arena is not dry!?  This
has to be one of the most boring occupations there is.  Talk about dry.  More
like parched of any creativity.  As a plan checker do you design anything? No.
Been out to the job site lately? I doubt it. Have you produced a drawing that
someone actually used to build something from? Can I check it?

DRY NUMBERS!  If thats what you think engineering is you are missing the
entire picture.  Engineers know more about the built environment than most
architects could ever dream of.  Thats why engineers are relied upon for the
actual design. The structural components are decided upon and designed by
engineers.  Right down to the aluminum frames of the storefront. The
difference between architects and engineers is that engineers can actually
back up what they design with more then concepts, textures and colors.  That's
the beauty of it.  As an engineer, I can look at a building design, layout the
framing, pick a system, conceptualize the lateral bracing and design it. The
engineer can determine how every component of the building/structure will fit,
what size, how many bolts and more importantly engineers are responsible for
the life safety protection of the occupants.

Plan checking doesn't even come close to any form of architectural or
engineering design.  As a plan checker your job is to check for conformance to
building code. Period.   You have no say in the configuration, looks,
components chosen, location, concepts or anything else. Your area of expertise
is the building code.  As a structural engineer I have been in plan check
situations where I have to educate the plan checker about the code.  This is
usually like talking to a brick wall.

As for dry numbers, do you really think we as a society would be able to span
the bay or build a high-rise structure without those dry numbers?

So. you consider yourself a hired gun working for the dastardly building
department.  Thats nice.  As they say whatever floats your boat. Actually, I
thought you were the guys with the white hats that ride in to save the day.

Blame it on Dilbert.  I hate to say it, but you asked for it.

Snipefully yours,
Tom Jakaby, SE
(DISCLAIMER: The above opinions, conlusions and snipes are intended to be
taken in a lighthearted way. It is not intended to alienate, offend or cause
any consternation.