Re: Dilbert's Theorem (architects vs. engineers)

In a message dated 3/4/99 8:56:29 AM Pacific Standard Time, JAKABY(--nospam--at)aol.com
writes:

<< Who could resist an open invitation to snipe at a Plan Checker!  Sweet
revenge
 is at hand!  Well, let's see where should I start....hmm.  So in your opinion
 engineering is "dry numbers".  Thats' typical coming from an architect where
 creativity abounds and to hell with practicality.  Where form follows
 function... NOT!   Oh and I suppose the plan checking arena is not dry!?
This
 has to be one of the most boring occupations there is.  Talk about dry.  More
 like parched of any creativity.  As a plan checker do you design anything?
No.
 Been out to the job site lately? I doubt it. Have you produced a drawing that
 someone actually used to build something from? Can I check it?

 DRY NUMBERS!  If thats what you think engineering is you are missing the
 entire picture.  Engineers know more about the built environment than most
 architects could ever dream of.  Thats why engineers are relied upon for the
 actual design. The structural components are decided upon and designed by
 engineers.  Right down to the aluminum frames of the storefront. The
 difference between architects and engineers is that engineers can actually
 back up what they design with more then concepts, textures and colors.
That's
 the beauty of it.  As an engineer, I can look at a building design, layout
the
 framing, pick a system, conceptualize the lateral bracing and design it. The
 engineer can determine how every component of the building/structure will
fit,
 what size, how many bolts and more importantly engineers are responsible for
 the life safety protection of the occupants.

 Plan checking doesn't even come close to any form of architectural or
 engineering design.  As a plan checker your job is to check for conformance
 building code. Period.   You have no say in the configuration, looks,
 components chosen, location, concepts or anything else. Your area of
expertise
 is the building code.  As a structural engineer I have been in plan check
 situations where I have to educate the plan checker about the code.  This is
 usually like talking to a brick wall.

 As for dry numbers, do you really think we as a society would be able to span
 the bay or build a high-rise structure without those dry numbers?

 So. you consider yourself a hired gun working for the dastardly building
 department.  Thats nice.  As they say whatever floats your boat. Actually, I
 thought you were the guys with the white hats that ride in to save the day.

 Blame it on Dilbert.  I hate to say it, but you asked for it.

 Snipefully yours,
 Tom Jakaby, SE
 (DISCLAIMER: The above opinions, conlusions and snipes are intended to be
 taken in a lighthearted way. It is not intended to alienate, offend or cause
 any consternation.   >>

Tom:
God bless you!
You are a better writer than you are a structural engineer, but your are a
good engineer. I Hope:-)

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.