RE: Match Temperature curing

Match temperature curing is often specified for field cast concrete in which
the temperature of the samples (cubes or cylinders) are kept at the same
temperature as the concrete section that was cast.  Curing and strength are
time and temperature dependent.

Match temperature curing is best accomplished by covering and placing the
samples near the concrete section that was placed.  If cold temperatures are
anticipated, the samples should be placed under the same blanket to more
accurately mimic the curing temperature (trapped heat of hydration) of the
concrete section.

But often, construction operations preclude this practice.  In that case the
temperatures of the samples should be monitored and controlled to mimic the
temperature of the section.

The primary issue is curing retardation and slow strength gain due to cold
weather.  If the temperatures are moderate and the concrete is not that
critical (foundations), it is generally not worth the effort.

Depending on the cement content, forms (insulation factor), the size and
shape of the section (thermal mass); the thermal gradient within the section
can vary by more than 50 degrees.  Sometimes we delude ourselves.

Match temperature curing is not always accurate or necessary.

Regards,
Harold Sprague
The Neenan Company