Re: Bar joist in 1953

TKS all fellows for responding my e-quest.

I checked the bar joist and found a tag attached to it. This helped me
to clarify the vender of the joist who is Bethelem Steel Co.,  who had
stopped making bar joist some years ago.

I bought a 60 year SJI manual. I had Donna sent me a copy of
Bethelem's bar joist load table that match SJI standard of 1953-1956.
I got a copy of GW load table form Roger. GW appears to be of more
capacity than SJI standard.

All your responses are very helpful. TKS again.

A lesson to learn:

I should have never trusted what I heard from SJI phone receptionist.
She seems knowledgable with a quick reply that is misleading. In
1950's, bar joist did use pure number as its label for some case.So
146 and 125 are all industry standard label of bar joist in 1950's.

Steve Bian, PE-Structural
CCJM
Washington DC