Re: y2k and the average engineer?

Tom,

My understanding is that there are several things that you might want to
investigate.

1.  The computer's system's operating BIOS.

     My understanding is that if you have a pentium based computer, the clock
will most likely rollover OK on January 1, 2000, but should still be checked.
The higher the pentium chip speed, the less likely you will have a problem.
I know all the pentium based computers in our office checked out OK.  The
486/386 chip machines on the other hand all failed on the date rollover  (the
date changed to January 1, 1900).  These can simply be fixed, when booting up
the computer on January 1st and changing the date manually.  This may not be
true for all computers though, depending on who wrote the BIOS for the
computer system (IBM, clone software, etc.).

If you are running date sensitive software, just turn the computer off on
December 31st, and then turn it back on in January so you can fix the date
manually.  There is computer software available to check the computer's BIOS,
you can probably download it from the internet.  The rollover date should
probably be checked beyond the year 2000, such as through the year 2010.

2.  Windows 95 program.

I have been told that there are some bugs related to year 2000, but there are
patches  available.  I will probably wait until sometime this summer to
install the patches, encase additional bugs are discovered between now and
then.  I don't want to have to install the patches twice.  I have not heard of
any year 2000 problems with Windows 98.

3.  Excel program

I have been told you can download from Microsoft the required year 2000
patches for Excel.

4.  If you are using a payroll software program, verify that it is year 2000
compliant, especially if your fiscal year does not end on december 31st.

Hope this helps

Michael Cochran