Re: y2k and the average engineer?

Tom,
The Y2K issue affects programs that store and retrieve data based upon dates.
Most structural software simply runs programs that perform analysis without
being date dependent.
Computer hardware is another issue. A two to three year old machine should
have no problems, however, you can contact the manufactuer to determine if the
BIOS is up to date and will interprete the year 00 as 2000 rather than 1900.
This is generally an easy fix with will known clones or even those of not so
well known status that use popular BIOS like AMD and Award.

The programs that are likely to have problems are those that are created in
house or even older commercial software that you may have used for billing and
record keeping. You can be sure that you are protected by insuring that you
are using the latest version of the software.

Enercalc and most of the commercial structural programs have already addressed
the problem and are, as far as I am informed, free of any problems associated
with Y2K.  Again, these do not include office management type programs which
you should investigate.

Finally, if in doubt - check it out. If you are unsure how your system will
behave, I would suggest hireing a consultant who understands the problems
associated with small offices and can provide you the help in the least
intrusive manner and help you plan for an efficient solution should a problem
arise.
I am naturally suspect of those quick fixes that simply wish to sell you a
patch. Many of these do not solve the problem but provide a temporary fix
(albeit one that will last most of our lifespans).

Dennis Wish PE