RE: Y2K and the average engineer?

I can only answer one of your questions, but I can state emphatically that
any Macintosh computer is not affected by the year 2000 issue.  Macs keep
track of time by counting days (plus or minus) from an arbitrary start date
(sometime in 1904).  Really old versions (the original 1984 Mac and the
512Kb "Fat Mac") can only run system 6, and will start having date problems
around the year 2042, if any of them are still running.  Later Macs...(i.e.
basically all of the them, including the four I use) will not have date
problems until sometime after the year 30,000.  Yes, that's 30,000 A.D.

My understanding (and I am willing to be corrected on this) is that
basically any pre-Pentium PC (8086, 286, 386, 486) has about 298 days before
it becomes a boat anchor.  Apparently Windows 98/NT might work next year,
and you need at least a Pentium to run it.

Didn't you watch the Super Bowl?  Best advertisement for years!  Hey, Apple
may not be perfect, but at least they knew the century was going to end!

Paul Meyer
250-368-2407
pmeyer(--nospam--at)hasimons.com