Stamped originals

Does anyone out there know what the California law is governing stamping
and signing original vellums.  I am under the impression that they could
not be of any use to the owner in obtaining any permits unless also wet
signed.  The vellum is revisable without the knowledge of the PE who signed
them.  What is the exposure for the engineer of record and how does he
protect himself?  This owner is a water district.  Are some owners
(government) considered to have such high integrity as to not change the
originals?  I know I have seen prints of road drawings owned by government
agencies where it is obvious that the original was signed and stamped.

Thanks,
Bob Hanson