Re: Concrete Flat Slab Hole

Dear Richard,

Its hard to give you advice without looking at the plans, but the way
you describe what you are doing, you are simply adding a new huge
column.  The column is the width and lenth of an elevator. ( The
bearing Cmu wall around the shaft. I imagine this will reduce most of
the spans.  I suppose you may have cracking in the slab after you cut
your hole since you may not have top steel in that region.

Just think of it as adding a big column to the mix and calculate the
change in demand because of the change in spans.  If the existing
steel is adequate your done.
Expect some cracking because of the new bearing points.

Ken Tarlow

---Richard Lewis <rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org> wrote:

> I have been asked to analyze a flat slab with drop panels for a
client.  The
> flat slab was designed in 1955 and is a typical two way slab with
column
> strips and middle strips.  The client wants to cut a hole in the
slab for an
> elevator, as close to one of the columns as possible.  This will
require
> loosing about 1/2 of a column strip.  I do not have much experience
with flat
> slab two way construction.  I want some guidance form some of the
experienced
> engineers what I should research, study, look for, brush up on, etc.
as I