UBC Section 1630 Earthquake Loads

E is defined as the earthquake load *on an ELEMENT of the structure* resulting from the combination of Eh and Ev. Eh is derived from 1630.2 in Eqn 30-4 and limited between Eqn 30-5 & 6. Ev is the equivalent vert. eqk component added to the DL and is zero in ASD.

Em is the max eqk load *on the STRUCTURE* resulting from the product of the amplification factor and Eh of Section 1630.2.

Kindly enlighten me if E differs with Em in that the former is applied to elements while Em is for the entire structure. And if E is just a horizontal load and not a vector (i.e. rho * Eh - applied horizontally and Ev - applied vertically).

I interpret it right now in that E is also applied to *the ENTIRE STRUCTURE* and Em is the maximum that can be applied. For example, if my computations say that E is a horizontal 100 tons, and Em is 125 tons, I use E as my design eqk load. But if say E is 150 tons and Em is still 125 tons, I will use Em for E because E > Em.

TIA,

Jerome A.M. Tan
Makati City, Philippines

Jerome.Tan(--nospam--at)Pareuro.com