Re: Re: Concrete Flat Slab Hole

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org,Internet writes:

Dear Richard,

Its hard to give you advice without looking at the plans, but the way
you describe what you are doing, you are simply adding a new huge
column.  The column is the width and lenth of an elevator. ( The
bearing Cmu wall around the shaft. I imagine this will reduce most of
the spans.  I suppose you may have cracking in the slab after you cut
your hole since you may not have top steel in that region.

Just think of it as adding a big column to the mix and calculate the
change in demand because of the change in spans.  If the existing
steel is adequate your done.
Expect some cracking because of the new bearing points.

Ken Tarlow

Thanks for the advice.  I understand your thinking.  The big difference is
that this new "column" makes the slab simply supported and no negative
bending.  It will increaser the positive bending but the span will be
shorter.

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org