Re: Scaffold Design Standards

John,

I don't know of any other specific design standards or regulations but you
should check with your state's Labor and Industry Board (at least that's
what it's called here in PA).  The PA regulation that I'm familiar with is
very similar to OSHA 1926.

Structural design of scaffolding is discussed in a couple of text books:

1. HANDBOOK OF RIGGING FOR CONSTRUCTION AND INDUSTRIAL OPERATIONS by
Rossnagel
2. HANDBOOK OF TEMPORARY STRUCTURES IN CONSTRUCTION: ENGINEERING STANDARDS,
DESIGNS, PRACTICES AND PROCEDURES by Ratay

There are several other sources of do's and don'ts type information, mostly
from vendors and trade associations.  You might want to contact the
Scaffolding Industry Association in Van Nuys, CA at 818-782-2012 to see if
they have any information you can use.

Also, if you don't already have it, you should get the scaffold hardware
vendor's specifications and test reports.  They're not all the same
especially if it's a tube and coupler type scaffold.

Walt Sawruk
EQE International, Inc.
Shillington, PA
ph 610-796-9080