Re: Ice Force on Steel Water Storage Tanks

What happens if that magic compressible material becomes saturated with water
and also freezes? I would imagine that you were thinking of some material???
that would separate the water and the steel tank, such as a waterproof
membrane. Good luck! I have observed throughout my life that there ain't no
free lunch.

I have observed many instances in cold climate areas such as Mammoth Lakes
many broken pipes. Fortunately none were mine. They are spectacular. The
pressure developed by ice freezing below 26 degrees is unyeilding. (The first
4 degrees the ice actually shrinks and then [if there is no infiltration of
additional water] the ice expands over the next 4 degrees. Someone stated that
ice broke cannon balls and I have absolutely no doubt at all.

John