DOE Standard 1020 Requirements

I am writing design procedures for a project which requires a dynamic
analysis for Performance Catagory 3 according to the DOE Standard 1020.
The input response spectra is pre-defined and has a peak ground
acceleration of about 0.5g.  Instead of dividing the base shear by an Rw
factor (as in UBC), the standard  uses Fmu factors to account for inelastic
behavior of the members individually.  Fmu differs for each type element in
the structure.  However, load factors of unity are used when combining the
forces for design.

Does anybody with experience applying this code know what a reasonable
amount of conservatism to expect?  A rough quick calculation tells me that
the force in a chevron brace may be  subject to almost 1.5 times the design
axial force when using DOE 1020, compared to an equivalent brace using UBC.
 I realize the two codes are based upon  different return periods.

Also, does anybody who has experience with this code know a simple way to
perform the analysis (we use SAP2000) such that every member gets it's due
reduction without having to generate a complete set of load cases for each
type of element?  Further, are these same loads to be used to generate
reactions for foundation design?  The standard is not clear on this
subject.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Reed Figley
Boise, ID