RE: Reinforcing Existing Beam

First a comment - it is described that the current beam has a 6 ksi margin.
Is that based on
checking the beam with dead load only?  If not, can you remove the live
loads prior to retrofit
to increase this margin?

One solution they have used on bridge girders is the installation of bottom
flange post-tensioning.
In your case you might be able to temporarily post-tension the bottom flange
to reduce the tension
stress, add cover plates, and remove the post-tensioning.