Engineer's Liability vis-a-vis Shop Drawing Review

I am researching what, if any, liability attends an engineer's NOT
reviewing shop drawings.  Or, put alternately, what is our LEGAL
responsibility to review shop drawings.

I've heard all the ethical arguments about how we need to check others'
interpretations of our design intent, and agree with them strongly.  BUT
ethics don't = $money$ and business types control our destiny, for the
most part.

So what I need are hard, legal cases where engineers have had their
liability & responsibility defined regarding the link between design
drawings + specs and the reality of construction.  Can we contract away
our liability for shop drawing review?  Would the engineers in Kansas
City (Hyatt collapse) have been protected if they specifically &
conntractually avoided shop drawing review?

My specific interest is Oregon, California and Florida (where I'm
registered) but other federal and state laws may also enlighten.

Thanks for whatever help you may offer.