Re: Crane Design; SE v. ME

>there are reasons why the work of one discipline is not easily accepted
>by another and what may be perceived as guarding the gate is based in
>lack of understanding of how they each work and what the technical
>expectations/results mean in the lingo of the opposite.
Without beating this to death, I'd say that clear communication with
people with different skills than ours is our job--no excuses about 'It's
a CE thing; you wouldn't understand.' Conversely, if I blow off some CE's
questions about lift load reactions just because he doesn't understand
enough hydraulics (real hydraulics--spool valves and cylinders ;-> ) to
suit me, I'm doing myself a great disservice. I keep bringing it up, but
the first guys who noticed a problem with the KC Hyatt skyways were the
workers who used them for access. When they said something, the exalted
engineers replied to stay off if they didn't feel safe. William
LeMessurier found out about about his wind loading problem because he
took the time to listen to a student. The idea that we can't convey
necessary information because it's casting pearls before swine is bad for
the profession and it's bad for business.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw