Crane Design

To all who responded to or followed the recent thread on crane design:

I forwarded all of the items from the list to my architect client.  From
this and whatever research he has done independently he says he has
concluded that (1) the bridge cranes in commercial buildings standard (as
opposed to essential) occupancy are NEVER designed for seismic loads and
that (2) such bridge cranes are usually designed by mechanical (as opposed
to civil or structural) engineers.  He is on this basis taking issue with
our having specified a design submission including seismic analysis under
the signature of a structural engineer.  I have suggested that proper design
of the thirty ton and sixty foot span crane in our building (apx 71 kips
dead load including rails) requires not only a seismic analysis but a
DYNAMIC analysis.  My client thinks that I am being overly conservative,
asking for something that is never done and will cost a lot of money, and
generally being outrageous.

Needless to say, my client and I are not seeing eye to eye here.  I have NOT
drawn the same conclusions from the discussion on the list.  Either he or I
appear to be misunderstanding the meaning of the posts.  If anyone would
care to offer a final comment on the subject that might help us to move
closer together by getting a better grasp on the issues, we would both
appreciate your efforts.

Thank you

Drew Norman, S.E.
Drew A. Norman and Associates