Re: Crane Design

The responsibility for the safe working of the crane and for its integrity rests
with the crane manufacturer.  If I were specifying a crane, I won't care who
engineers the crane for the manufacturer. However, I will include in my specs
that "the crane and its accessories should be in safe operation in the event of
an earthquake, evaluation of forces during the earthquake being determined by
UBC (or ASCE) etc. Devices shall be provided, if necessary, to prevent the crane
from jumping off the runway rails".

As an engineer of record for the building, you will be responsible for the
serviceability conditions of the building columns supporting the crane.  That
is, the column should not experience detrimental deflections at the crane runway
elevation. One of the input data you need for your analysis is the dynamic load
from the crane transferred to building columns at runway elevation. If the crane
manufacturer does not indicate the dynamic loads , you should be able to
calculate it.  I beleieve the crane can be assumed to be a lumped mass.

You may want to put the above in a formal letter to the client.  If the client
does not want to spend the money for extra engineering effort and is willing to
take a risk please have him send you a written reply indicating his decision.
Keep it in your permanent file record.

Rajendran, P.E.