Re: Crane Design

          In order to provide you with a good reply there are a few
          things which would be nice to know:

          What type of loads are being lifted (i.e., are they
          hazardous types of material) ?

          Is the area directly beneath the crane normally occupied by
          workers or is it a vacant area with restricted access ?

          By the 1997 UBC, what required type of analysis is dicated
          for the building (static or dynamic) ?

          The answers to these questions would provide some of the
          intangibles in the decision on what type of analysis to
          require.  I know you may be in a strong position
          contractually (because you put the requirements in the
          construction documents), but as you noted, sometimes you
          have to prove that what you're asking for is reasonable and
          customary.

          Risk is a function of two parameters, probability of
          occurence and consequences of the event.  Defining what
          rigor of analysis would be required is dependent upon what
          type of "risk" one wants to accept.  I think you're two
          options is a full response spectra analysis or allowing them
          to provide a equivalent lateral approach.  Once I know the
          answers to the questions above I can provide you with a more
          informed recommendation.

          Robert C. Rogers, PE
          robert.rogers(--nospam--at)woolpert.com