Re: Moment connection design example

seaint list,

In consideration of the results of the Northridge earthquake and
problems with these connections, I too have an interest in what is being
recommended. Is a direct full pen weld (flange to flange) still
considered o.k. under some conditions, and if so what conditions?  I
have been doing a few connections in the past couple of years with
bolted tee stubs per the interim guidelines put out by FEMA since
Northridge, but these can be somewhat cumbersome for some applications
and time consuming to design.  I am quite interested in the TS col to WF
beam connection and how to design to be in accordance with '94 or '97
UBC requirements.  These types of frames work well for the architects in
the type of projects I get involved with.  You could also email me
privately if you wish, but I would guess there are many who are
scratching their heads with this.
Thanks,
J.R. Grill