Re: States That Require S.E.'s

I'm a practicing structural engineer, licensed in Virginia, Michigan, Ohio,
Louisiana, Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi.  So far as I know, none of
those states has a specific SE registration.

I was interested in Dick Horning's note that Oregon is considering SE
registration.  I don't fully understand the reason for SE registration.  I
am prohibited by ethics and licensing law from performing engineering for
which I am unqualified.  For example, I don't do Civil, Environmental,
Geotechnical, etc.

Frankly, and I realize I'm stepping on a lot of toes, I've often referred
to the California Structural License as a "license to steal".  'Last time I
checked (many years ago), I couldn't even sit for the Ca structural  exam,
because I hadn't served an apprenticeship under a Ca licensed SE.  That
hasn't affected me personally, but it alway seemed "protectionist".

And, now that I've exploded the dynamite beneath the outhouse, I await your
response(s).

Respectfully,

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561

> From: Steve Powell <Stevep(--nospam--at)smesteel.com>
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: States That Require S.E.'s
> Date: Wednesday, March 17, 1999 8:49 AM
>
> I need some help.
> My local Structural Engineer's Association has given me the task of
finding out which States offer a SE license and if limitations are then
placed on what a PE can design.