RE: Tank design per AWWA (response spectra)

1. I have used "Guidlines for the Seismic Design of Oil and Gas Pipeline
Systems, ASCE committee on Gas and liquid Fuel Lifelines, 1984.

2. This part of D100 is confusing. I prefer D110 (concrete tanks) which
substitutes Ai for ZICi & leaves the R factors alone. Return period is
part of the design criteria (depending on criticallity of tank etc.) and
spectra developed. Code standard equations remain as minimums.  Note
that the spectral response curve must be for 2% damping (this can be 35%
more Accel. than for 5% damping).

3. Av = .85Ai/Rf  (with Rf = 2.5 for D100)

Eric Fieberling  SE