Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: states requiring SE

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Title: RE: states requiring SE

Greg Riley wrote:

There are more places to get a degree in SE than there used to be but many
of the states requiring an SE are the included and adjacent ones to where
the degree was offered e.g. Univ. of Wisconsin...I think there is a pattern.
There are inconsistencies - Stanford, Los Alamos(?) and Florida(?)etc. but
the places where the degree is offered would be a good start.

I am writing in response to your post. To the best of my knowledge, there is NO university in the United States which offers any degree (BS, MS, or Ph.D) in SE (Structural Engineering).  American students must settle for degrees in Civil Engineering or Architectural Engineering, with a heavy emphasis in structural.  In a perfect world, SE degree programs would be available, but we do not live in a perfect world (not even in Texas).

The University of Wisconsin does NOT, and NEVER has, offered a SE degree.  I am an alumnus of UW-Madison (BS '70, MS '71).  I took every structural course available, and never wavered from my plan to become a structural engineer.  Nevertheless, my degrees both read "Civil Engineering".  Currently, I serve on the Visiting Committee of the CEE Department at UW-Madison.  We meet on campus twice a year to review curriculum, faculty, research, funding, etc.  I can assure you that there are no plans to offer a "Structural Engineering" degree.  Also, the State of Wisconsin licenses only PEs.  They have no SE license.  SE license requirements can generally only be found in states that are flat (Illinois) or seismic (California).


Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas (hockeytown)

New Federal Loan Programs Now Available:
The Gore (no interest)
The Clinton (no principle)
The Lewinsky (no maturity)