Re: Structural Shapes

Chris:

Your request is timely!  In the March 1999 issue of Modern Steel
Construction, there is an article concerning the use of spreadsheets for
steel design.  The AISC Database is available for $60 in either US or
metric units (call 312-670-544).

The article illustrates how to retrieve the database values using a
VLOOKUP.  I personally use a MATCH and INDEX routine.

You may also contact ARBED.  At one time they would supply there database
for no cost.  Check a search engine for their website.

For pipe, the AISC database is limited to what is published in the manual.
You may want to expand this area.  I used Table 4 from L.B. Foster Company
catalog for sizes up to 42" dia. x .625" thick.  Their Table 8 provides the
section properties from 44" through 144" x 1".