Definition of Structural Engineer

I tell the lay person that an Architect draws the pretty picture and the
Structural Engineer figures out how to hold it up.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

J. Karim Hosseinzadeh wrote:

. > I just saw the definition of "STRUCTURAL ENGINEER" in the seaint web site
. > which reads:
. > "Structural Engineering is the science and art of designing and making,
. > with economy and elegance, buildings, bridges, frameworks and other
. > similar structures so that they can safely resist the forces to which
. > they may be subjected."

. > I would recommend revising the definition to the following:
. > "Structural Engineering is the science and art of designing buildings and
. > bridges."

. > This will be simple enough for the public to find out what we really do
. > without any confusion, if the definition is indeed intended for public
. > consumption. But if it is meant to impress Structural Engineers , we
. > already know how elegant we are.