From: raranous(--nospam--at)pacbell.net <raranous(--nospam--at)pacbell.net>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Thursday, March 18, 1999 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: Definition of Structural Engineer

i'm sorry--i disagree---because it's not just about 'buildings and bridges'---this may be a little flowery and "...so they can safely resist the forces to which they may be subjected...." is obscure to the general public--but i really like the 'economy and elegance' part!

audra ranous

J. Karim Hosseinzadeh wrote:

I just saw the definition of "STRUCTURAL ENGINEER" in the seaint web site
which reads:
"Structural Engineering is the science and art of designing and making,
with economy and elegance, buildings, bridges, frameworks and other similar
structures so that they can safely resist the forces to which they may be
subjected."

I would recommend revising the definition to the following:
"Structural Engineering is the science and art of designing buildings and
bridges."

This will be simple enough for the public to find out what we really do
without any confusion, if the definition is indeed intended for public
consumption. But if it is meant to impress Structural Engineers , we
already know how elegant we are.

Sincerely,
Karim Hosseinzadeh
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org