Subject: RE: states requiring SE
Author:  "Caldwell; Stan" <scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com> at fdinet
Date:    3/18/99 10:13 AM

Greg Riley wrote:

There are more places to get a degree in SE than there used to be but many
of the states requiring an SE are the included and adjacent ones to where
the degree was offered e.g. Univ. of Wisconsin...I think there is a pattern.
There are inconsistencies - Stanford, Los Alamos(?) and Florida(?)etc. but
the places where the degree is offered would be a good start.

Greg:

I am writing in response to your post. To the best of my knowledge, there is
NO university in the United States which offers any degree (BS, MS, or Ph.D)
in SE (Structural Engineering).  American students must settle for degrees
in Civil Engineering or Architectural Engineering, with a heavy emphasis in
structural.  In a perfect world, SE degree programs would be available, but
we do not live in a perfect world (not even in Texas).

The University of Wisconsin does NOT, and NEVER has, offered a SE degree.  I
am an alumnus of UW-Madison (BS '70, MS '71).  I took every structural
course available, and never wavered from my plan to become a structural
engineer.  Nevertheless, my degrees both read "Civil Engineering".
Currently, I serve on the Visiting Committee of the CEE Department at
UW-Madison.  We meet on campus twice a year to review curriculum, faculty,
research, funding, etc.  I can assure you that there are no plans to offer a
"Structural Engineering" degree.  Also, the State of Wisconsin licenses only
PEs.  They have no SE license.  SE license requirements can generally only
be found in states that are flat (Illinois) or seismic (California).

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas (hockeytown)

New Federal Loan Programs Now Available:
The Gore (no interest)
The Clinton (no principle)
The Lewinsky (no maturity)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2232.0">
<TITLE>RE: states requiring SE</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Greg Riley wrote:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>There are more places to get a degree in SE than there used to
be but many</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>of the states requiring an SE are the included and adjacent
ones to where</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>the degree was offered e.g. Univ. of Wisconsin...I think there
is a pattern.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>There are inconsistencies - Stanford, Los Alamos(?) and
Florida(?)etc. but</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>the places where the degree is offered would be a good
start.</FONT>
<BR><FONT
SIZE=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Greg:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I am writing in response to your post. To the best of my
knowledge, there is NO university in the United States which offers any degree
(BS, MS, or Ph.D) in SE (Structural Engineering).&nbsp; American students must
settle for degrees in Civil Engineering or Architectural Engineering, with a
heavy emphasis in structural.&nbsp; In a perfect world, SE degree programs would
be available, but we do not live in a perfect world (not even in
Texas).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>The University of Wisconsin does NOT, and NEVER has, offered a
SE degree.&nbsp; I am an alumnus of UW-Madison (BS '70, MS '71).&nbsp; I took
every structural course available, and never wavered from my plan to become a
structural engineer.&nbsp; Nevertheless, my degrees both read &quot;Civil
Engineering&quot;.&nbsp; Currently, I serve on the Visiting Committee of the CEE
Department at UW-Madison.&nbsp; We meet on campus twice a year to review
curriculum, faculty, research, funding, etc.&nbsp; I can assure you that there
are no plans to offer a &quot;Structural Engineering&quot; degree.&nbsp; Also,
the State of Wisconsin licenses only PEs.&nbsp; They have no SE license.&nbsp;
SE license requirements can generally only be found in states that are flat
(Illinois) or seismic (California).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Regards,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Dallas, Texas (hockeytown)</FONT>
</P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=2>New Federal Loan Programs Now Available:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>The Gore (no interest)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>The Clinton (no principle)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>The Lewinsky (no maturity)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>