RE: Bridge Expansion Joint Elimination

Tony Powers wrote:

. > However, I must disagree with Mr. Turk's conclusion that the expansion
. > joint is merely relocated to the joint between the approach slab and the
. > abutment.

Perhaps I was a bit too specific.  The point that I was trying to make is
that an expansion joint is not eliminated, it is merely relocated as
provision for expansion and contraction *has* to be made and I think that
we both agree on that.  Whether that relocation is between the approach slab
and the abutment or between the approach slab and the roadway pavement is a
decision that the designer has to make.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona