Re: pca-frame

>*You* had
>the choice after evaluating what was in their books.
Basically it's the same with software. You do a procedure and you
cross-check it. (If you're smart) Same as with something you pick out of
a book. How many times have you seen some sprog think he's got his
solution because he's found an equation in Roark? At it's most abused
worst, computer analysis is the new way to find equations in books.
People read the hype and believe that non-linear analysis is child's
play, that FEA gives exact answers. Plug in the numbers, turn the crank
and presto! 5 significant figures with no work, no weighing assumptions
and no critical thinking.

I'm not knocking the tool; I make a pretty good living using FEA and I do
a fair number of problems I couldn't do otherwise. But it's used properly
as a test for thinking, not a substitute. And you could say the same
thing about Blodgett's book on welded structures or the Steel Code.
Consequently I'd no more expect anyone to put a seal on a set of computer
docs as a sort of engineering imprimatur, than I'd expect Roark to stamp
'Formulas for Stress and Strain.' And it wouldn't make a particle of
difference if they did.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw