Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

States That Require S.E.'s

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Steve Powell wrote:  <My local Structural Engineer's Association has given
me the task of finding out which States offer a SE license and if
limitations are then placed on what a PE can design.>


You can find what you are looking for in a document published by the
National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) which compares U.S.
professional engineering licensure standards across all fifty states and the
various territories and protectorates.  This will tell you not only which
states issue a separate structural license but what their standards are for
comity licensure (including which ones recognize the NCEES "national"
certification and to what extent), which types of practice are regulated
(and which are not -- e.g., which have a corporate exclusion and how broad),
how the governing boards are organized (or dis-organized), what their
addresses and phone numbers are, how much they charge in exam, licensing and
renewal fees, what exams they use, whether they have a continuing education
requirement and how they limit cross-disciplinary practice (if at all).

There are bunches and bunches of comparative tables (as you might expect of
a document made by engineers for engineers) and I recommend the thing for
the library of any firm practicing in more than one or two states.  The
version I have was published in 1997.  They may have updated it since.
Contact NSPE, 1420 King Street, Alexandria, VA, 22314-2794, 703-684-2800
(voice), 703-836-4875 (fax).

Drew Norman, S.E.
Drew A. Norman and Associates.