Sub diaphragm cross ties

A question has come up in regards to cross ties at subdiaphragms in engineered
joists roof and floor systems [e.g.TJI's etc} to concrete walls.
Previously I had assumed that the cross ties should be the full depth of the
joists.
Now I have come across a couple of "solutions" presented to me by designers
were the cross tie has the depth of the topflange of the engineered joists [
being 1.1/2" deep]

I would really appreciate some feedback on the matter of full depth cross tie
blocking vs. the implications of top flange blocking.

Regards,

Luke Gunnewegh PE
559.447.1673