RE: Wood truss design criteria

I agree with you in most of your topics in the summary that you have made.
Here in the Philippines, we adopt the National Structural Code of the Phil.
(NSCP) in designing wood structures. Based on my experience with wood
trusses, I usually analyze the top chord members as a continuous frame
member and not as a truss member (meaning it is subjected to both positive
and negative moments plus axial load).
For the metal connectors like fishplate and buttplate, I analyze it as a
hinge. I believe that connection for wood member cannot stand the moment
since it will still rotate not like connections for steel structures. I'll
share with you my other insights and techniques later. Thanks !!

Allan Yango
Structural Engineer