UBC 97 Drift

When computing Ds for a shear wall according to the UBC 97, do u use in your mathematical model an I of 0.35Ig if the wall cracks under elastic forces - due to E only

It seems to me that this would be too penalizing especially that we multiply Ds by the R factor to get Dm which is the value actually used to determine if the allowable drift has been exceeded.

Some engineers tell me they use an I = 1Ig !

And is the 1.2D + f1L + E including P-D  the only combination to use for drift calculations ?

Thanks in advance,
Moni Serhal