RE: Humour

I have a very old curriculum manual from my church (LDS) that contains the
very same story.  In that version, however, it was not American-Canadian
(and the bias of the original poster is there evident), but simply a
Battleship captain talking with what turned out to be a seaman third-class.

Good story illustrating the problem of hubris, nevertheless.