Re: recycled plastic lumber

Michael-
This is purely anecdotal.  I have used a PRL product called Trex (Trec?)
as sill material in some shearwall testing.  It has much better "cross
grain commpression" performance than Doug Fir or Treated Hem/Fir.  It is
much denser than D/F; I'd guess about 2x.

Checkout
http://dea.human.cornell.edu/susdesign/products/wood1.htm
http://www.trex.com/java_version/
http://www.syntal.com/