RE: Shear Walls

Allan :

>> I would say that keeping the shaft R/C AND keeping it connected is the way
>> to go.  Dual systems, IMO, are the best R/C configurations for seismic
>> resistance.

I totally agree with this opinion, but be sure to put another shear wall in
the opposite side of the building and at least one in between, to deal with
elastic and inelastic torsion respectively.

 The SMRF, if properly detailed, provides an excellent energy
>> absorbing system, and it can accomodate some pretty high drift levels.

This is true, but don't forget that displacement means damage, maybe
initially the building is cheaper, but after a seismic event, sometimes a
small one, we have so much damage that fixing the building is very
expensive. The best you can do is limit the story drift as much as you can.

>> The
>> shear walls, depending on the configuration and sizes, provides some
>> measure
>> of deformation control.  Given that the frames are taking most of the
>> vertical loading, axial load on the walls is usually pretty low, allowing
>> them to exhibit good hysteretic behavior.

Well I wouldn't say that if I don't see the building plans, maybe
overturning moment gives the wall a big axial load, which is good, at least
for concrete.

>> On the other hand, if the walls are in such a configuration that they
>> bring
>> about a lot of torsional response, you might look at using soft walls, but
>> for a 7 storey structure I would think it wouldn't be too much of a
>> problem.

I would rather use another simetric wall to control torsional problems.

Just remember, in the life cycle of the structure, it's cheaper to make it
initially stronger. Don't forget that the "non structural" parts of the
building are the most expensive.

Just a comment.

Walter Sheen Paoli
Civil Engineer